Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What's For Lunch? - Flatbread Chips and a "Stir Fry"

Hello! It's Tuesday, so that means a new What's For Lunch? post! I just finished making this cumin flat bread chips recipe. I've had some flat bread tucked away after the fillings were used up and I've been looking for a recipe to use them for, and this was the perfect one. I think next time I'll try to use plain flat bread - the kind I had was Italian-flavored, I think? - but overall they've turned out very well! If you have an oven that runs hotter like mine does, I would suggest baking the first batch for twelve minutes and the second batch for ten. I baked my first batch for the full fifteen and they turned out a little browner than I would have liked. Also, be liberal with your spices!




Lunch today is really just going to be a creative endeavor, because once again I find myself in need of going to the grocery. I'm calling it a stir fry, but I have no idea if that's technically correct. Here's the plan: I've got some brown rice that I've tucked away, and I'm going to cook about a cup or cup and a half of that. Since it takes about forty-five minutes, I'm going to go ahead and start that. Closer to time, though, I'm also going to steam some broccoli (see a reoccurring theme here?). Then, in a pan, I'm going to saute some garlic with a bit of soy sauce and spinach. Add the rice, add the veggies, season appropriately and - voilĂ !

Of course, now that I'm actually looking at how much rice a cup and a half makes, I think I overdid it a bit. Whoops! I probably only used about three-fourths of a cup. I also put a bay leaf in the rice when I was making it, because I'd like the leftovers to have a bit of flavor later. Just make sure you don't add more than one leaf if you make it like I do, because it will have a strong flavor.

Brown Rice  
1 and 1/2 cups of brown rice
2 and 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf

Combine in pot, bring to a heavy boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and let cook for 45 minutes or until all liquid is adsorbed.
 If we'd had chicken broth, I think I might have replaced the water with that.

For the "stir fry," I steamed about a third of a cup of broccoli (all we had left). Then, in a saute pan, I put four cloves of garlic and a small pat of butter. I added the broccoli and cooked it for a bit - just enough for all the flavors to mingle. Then I added three-fourths of a cup of brown rice and a couple splashes of soy sauce - enough to satisfy your palate. After I mixed everything well, I formed an even layer in the pan and let the bottom get crispy.

I know, I know, it doesn't look so appetizing in this photo. But trust me, I don't eat anything that isn't good, and this is:



And there you have it! That's what's for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment