Friday, January 27, 2012

Smoothie Apologies

Ahh, I know! I've missed two scheduled posts. I haven't had a lot of time to put a few posts on queue, so when I suddenly got sick on Wednesday, the blog was down for the count too. Happily, I am feeling better, and in order to win your hearts back, I'm sharing with you my smoothie recipe. You've probably heard it before, but there's really no way you can go wrong with a smoothie.

When I make smoothies for my daughter, I usually put in a banana for sweetness. However, I have a mild allergy to bananas, so I can't do that for myself. This is why I have two go-to recipes for smoothies. I use frozen fruit for these too, because I like that you don't get all that extra water from ice in there. I prefer a full flavored smoothie myself.

I am not making the smoothies tonight. What I am doing, however, is making what we call "Smoothie Bags." Smoothie Bags are basically what the name suggests. I put the frozen fruit and apple juice that I'll be using for the smoothies in the morning, put them in a small snack bag, and put them in the freezer until we need them in the morning. Then in the morning, we pop the frozen fruit and juice out of the bag, put it in the blender, and add whatever extras - bananas, Greek yogurt, spinach (sometimes we use oats, too, if the smoothie is the only thing we'll be having for breakfast) - and proceed to make smoothies.

I know what you're thinking! Why is this lady thinking about making smoothies at midnight? Because I can, really. I also have a paper that's due tomorrow so that's the other half of the reason I am up this late doing bizarre things. I'm calling it efficiency!

So what does a Smoothie Bag look like? Well, you're in luck, because I just made some! As you can see below, it is literally just a bag of fruit and juice. There are no surprises to be found here. However, the cool thing about Smoothie Bags is that you can make a bunch in advance and then just pop them out whenever you need them. This is a partially frozen bag, and it's smaller because it's for Eek:




It is very possible that you can making Smoothie Bags in other containers - Popsicle molds, perhaps? Tupperware containers? - but I have never had good luck with getting frozen things out of either of those other containers. At least with plastic bags, if push comes to shove, I can always peel the bag off the frozen bits. There is nothing worse that going into something with good smoothie intentions only to be foiled because you can't get the frozen contents out of the plastic mold. Or does that sort of thing only happen to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment