Thursday, January 19, 2012

What's for Lunch? - Broccoli Pancakes

I don't remember how I came across the idea of broccoli pancakes, but I have an idea it was on the Internet. The only days I really have to worry about what to give Eek for lunch are Tuesdays and Thursdays and it's always such a struggle to find healthy and delicious options. I think every parent knows the struggle that comes with trying to get their toddlers to eat vegetables, but I've pretty much lucked out with Eek. There is very little she won't eat, but plain broccoli is one of those foods.

I've hidden broccoli under cheese, slipped it into sauces, covered it with pasta - you name it, I've done it. We buy a lot of frozen vegetables because they're cheap (about a buck per bag, sometimes less) and keep our freezer stocked with them so I always have the option of having veggies to go along with her lunch.

Today is one of those days where we don't have a lot of food in the house, but we do have broccoli. I googled a recipe for broccoli pancakes and just took stock of what ingredients I have in the house and which ones I don't. I have broccoli (frozen, but I can make it work). I have onion, already chopped. I even have - surprisingly - chili paste. There are a few sundries I don't have, but I am nearly one hundred-percent sure that I can cobble together a passable recipe. Here goes nothing!

I steamed the broccoli according to package directions - 3 cups of broccoli, 1/2 cup of water, a bit of salt to taste for eight minutes.We already have chopped onion, so that cuts out another step. I also plan on adding a few other vegetables that we have on hand.

Though the recipe doesn't call for it, I'm going to saute my other vegetables. We only have red onion, so I'm hoping this will level out the flavor of the onion a bit. In a pan, I put a pat of butter and the sliced garlic, a rest of the mushrooms we have, 1/4 cup of chopped red onions, and two handfuls of spinach. I let everything wilt together a bit and when it looks ready, I put the entire mixture into the blender. I also add to the blender - and you may choose not to, it's a personal preference - a small bunch of alfalfa sprouts. I have a bunch on hand and am looking for ways to use them up. Pulse that mixture a bit and then add your broccoli in small batches.

I didn't quite puree my veggies, but I'm sure it would be fine to leave the mixture a bit roughly chopped. Transfer entire mixture into a large bowl and add vegetable oil, flour, dried dill, and salt. Stir well. Add an egg and milk and mix well.

My batter is a bit wet - I'm going to test a tablespoon in the pan and if it's too wet, add a bit of flour. It also looks a bit like guacamole!

Butter a large pan and drop tablespoons of batter onto medium hot pan. Cook for one minute on each side and then transfer to a plate. It should make about 20 pancakes, but I made about 24.

These are delicious - they've got a very earthy flavor that I love and an almost creamy texture punctuated with small bites of broccoli and mushroom. I will definitely be making these again!


Broccoli Pancakes

3 cups of fresh or frozen broccoli
1/4 cup of chopped onion
1 tsp red pepper chili paste
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
2/3 cup of flour
1/8 tsp dried dill
a pinch of salt
a pinch of pepper
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
paprika

2 comments:

  1. This sounds DELICIOUS and it's definitely a great way to get kids to eat veggies.

    ...but as a grown up kid I think I may have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really great! They definitely have a very earthy, savory taste and by the end of it I was putting a smear of butter on them and lightly salting them. You should totally make them!

      Delete